Oscar de la Renta once said, “Fashion is about dressing according to what’s fashionable and Style is more about being yourself.” Well, when it comes to Indian women, what can be better than Kurtis to define what she truly is, while still effortlessly being the forerunner in the fashion game?
From chic to traditional and from bold to formal, Kurtis has it all. And today we have curated a list of 10 Kurti styles to aid your transformation from “fitting in” to “standing out”.
- A-line Kurtis is possibly one of the most famous categories of Kurtis amongst Indian women and is a must-have in your wardrobes. These calf-length or ankle-length Kurtis have a flare from waist down to give a beautiful A shaped effect and hence, the name. A-line Kurtis plays perfectly with Women having wider hips. You can flaunt your upper slim body and avoid unnecessary attention to the bottom half effortlessly! However, A-line Kurtis doesn’t gel too well with women having wide shoulders as it ends up making them look even broader, and therefore they should avoid wearing them.
One can take inspiration from Vidhya Balan’s monochrome A-line Kurta-palazzo outfit for a tall, smart and classy look.
Picture Courtesy: Purvi Doshi
- Straight Kurtis helps you look taller and slimmer effortlessly. Women with short height, broader shoulders and fat belly should give Straight Kurtis a try. Be it a casual outing, a party, a normal day at college or office, or a date, this style will make you proud. Pair it with jeans, leggings, pants, palazzos, skirts or churidars and rock your ordinary with style.
Many famous Bollywood divas like Janhvi Kapoor, Sara Ali Khan and Kriti Sanon have been spotted many times in these beautiful and comfortable Kurtas.
Picture Courtesy: That’s Indian
- High-low Kurtis is the absolute love of modern women due to its shorter front and longer back hemlines which give it a fashionable look. It looks best on tall women or women who have broad shoulders, heavy bust or small waistline as uneven hemlines help your best features to stand out in the crowd.
Seen many times in fashion shows and dawned on by Bollywood actresses like the pictures below, High-Low Kurtas can instantly give you a stylish look.
Picture Courtesy: dailyexcelsior
- Anarkali Kurtis is a wedding season staple, the Anarkali Kurtis scream ethnic! These Kurtis are fit and flare and look flattering on almost everyone. Another reason why we love Anarkalis!
Draw your inspiration of styling Anarkalis from the beautiful Silver Screen and Television actresses for a traditional look.
Picture Courtesy: Fashionshala
- Angrakha Kurtis is inspired by the ancient wear of India’s courtiers and musicians. Angrakha Kurtis is a big-time hit in the Indian fashion industry these days. These Kurtis have two flaps overlaid on each other which are tied with the help of straps or Doris. Women with broad shoulders, a heavy bust and a small waistline can carry the Angrakha style like a pro.
Sara Ali Khan has given us some major Angrakha styled Kurtas and tops goals in the past. Check out her pictures or head to Curious Hanger’s collection for more ideas on how to look amazing in these amazing Kurtas.
Picture Courtesy: PopXo and Curious Hanger
- Dhoti style is the contemporary version of the traditional garb, Dhoti Kurti is both style and comfort rolled into one. The drapes of these Kurtis generally start from the yoke or bodice creating a dhoti-like effect. Since these Kurtis add a very feminine touch and accentuate the curves, women with broad shoulders, small waist or broad hips should definitely give it a try.
Setting new benchmarks in the ethnic Indian clothes, Dhoti styled Kurtas have become the go-to like our Bollywood divas as can be seen in the beautiful pictures of Miss D’Cruz.
Picture Courtesy: IndianExpress
- Flared Kurtis is the go-to Kurtis for tall women, Flared Kurti has a narrow to heavy flare starting from the yoke. These Kurtis look fabulous on tall women. Women with heavy hips, or a little belly fat or even heavy thighs can dawn these beautiful Kurtis for a party-ready look. However, short women should try to avoid these Kurtis as it can make you appear even shorter.
Picture Courtesy: Pinterest and Curious Hanger
- Indo-Western Kurti is sometimes simple, sometimes dramatic! The Indo-Western Kurtis are the fusion of Indian and Western clothes. Generally, the western look in these Kurtis is attained by interesting collars, stylish cuts and dramatic sleeves. These Kurtis flatter every body shape and height and hence, making it one of our most favourite choices.
Female Superstars of Bollywood, like the gorgeous Kareena Kapoor has set major fashion goals for Indo-western Kurtas. You can easily achieve the look too by checking out Curious Hanger’s beautiful Kurta Collection.
Picture Courtesy: Pinterest
- Floor-length/ Gown style Kurti as the name suggests, these Kurtis have a gown-like effect. Women who want to take away unnecessary attention from their stomach area, hips or waste can wear these amazing Kurtis for to get an absolute diva-like look. However, women who are a little on the petite side might not look equally flattering in these Kurtis.
We have already seen Alia in Floor-length or Gown Kurtas a kit of times but the beauty of both the actress and the Kurtas never seems to take us by surprise!
Picture Courtesy: The Heavenvilla
- Asymmetric Kurtis is the ones with asymmetrical hemlines! These Kurtis create an illusion of height thus, becoming a perfect solution for girls who want to look tall and stylish. When paired with the right bottom wear, these Kurtis look amazing on every body shape and is perfect for a chill yet stylish look.
Bollywood actresses like the beautiful Parineeti Chopra have been spotted rocking the amazing Asymmetric Kurtas outfits a lot of times. Check out Curious Hanger’s collection of Kurtas to easily create such looks of your own.
Picture Courtesy: Pinterest and Curious Hanger